Infant eczema is a benign but uncomfortable skin condition for babies. In addition to the appearance of spots and red patches, is your little one scratching, squirming and having trouble sleeping? Rest assured, there are solutions to relieve your baby and reduce eczema flare-ups . Targeted and natural treatments to moisturize dry skin and calm irritation as offered by Laboratoires Téane through their special atopic eczema collection for babies and children. Also find our advice for adopting a gentle daily skincare routine!
How to recognize eczema in infants?
Infant eczema is a common skin condition that affects around one in 10 babies . Often genetic, it can appear in the first months of your baby's life. It manifests itself by redness, itching and irritation.
How do you know if your baby has eczema? Several symptoms are typical of this skin disease:
- Persistent redness: the most common areas for eczema are the cheeks, chin, forehead, arms and legs;
- Dry, scaly skin: Eczema causes dry skin and scaly patches that are recognizable to the touch (the skin is rough and blistered)
In addition to these physical manifestations, babies with eczema show signs of discomfort. Your baby is cranky, squirming, trying to rub against you or the sheets, etc. Your little one's sleep may also be disrupted as well as their bottle-taking in the most severe cases.
Our selection of products dedicated to atopic eczema
Why does my baby have infant eczema?
In itself, the causes of eczema are quite diverse. However, genetic predisposition is an aggravating factor: 50 to 70% of babies suffering from eczema have a parent who is themselves a subject . This is called atopic eczema.
In other words, a baby with a family history of eczema, but also of asthma or allergic rhinitis, is more likely to develop eczema. In this case, the rashes appear in several places on the body and are distinguished by severe dryness of the skin.
Another cause of infant eczema: allergies! Here, the term used is contact eczema which occurs in reaction to an allergen such as food, soap, perfume or even a material. Unlike atopic eczema, the symptoms are localized to the area of the body in contact with the allergen. Note that this form of eczema is often observed later.
Good to know: if infant eczema is accompanied by digestive disorders, it is necessary to consult a health professional . Only he is able to confirm the hypothesis of an allergy, such as that to cow's milk for example.
How to relieve infant eczema?
Good news: several solutions exist to relieve eczema in your infant! However, it is important to distinguish between eczema flare-ups and periods of calm .
During an outbreak of infant eczema, your baby suffers from severe itching. On the advice of your doctor, it is common to be prescribed a cortisone cream. A very effective treatment, but only during the treatment period.
Between each push, your baby's skin remains fragile. This is why you must provide daily and appropriate care. The objective is to deeply nourish the epidermis and protect the skin from external aggressions through a good skincare routine.
As the skin barrier is too weak to effectively fight against external aggressions, it is important to help it protect itself. And this is even more true if your little one develops infant eczema.
A tailor-made routine
Atopic skin in infants requires even more attention than usual. Applying these small actions daily can relieve eczema attacks and prevent flare-ups:
- Use lukewarm water to wash your child
- Space out baby baths
- Choose neutral, soap-free cleansing gels: no more chemicals and endocrine disruptors that damage the skin barrier
- Gently dab your baby's skin after getting out of the bath with a soft towel.
- Moisturize the skin every day
- Dress your child in soft cotton clothes
- Wash your baby's laundry with neutral, allergen-free detergents
100% natural and certified organic care
Because Laboratoires Téane are concerned about the well-being of babies, they offer a complete range for atopic-prone skin. Products designed and created to adapt perfectly to the problem of eczema.
- Treat and relieve dry atopic skin with our certified organic emollient cream : it contains an extract of Cassia Alata, a plant known for its virtues in the care of eczema.
- Protect your baby's skin with multi-care oil : a synergy of vegetable oils which envelop the skin in a protective layer. It is used before bathing or by adding a few drops directly to the water. It is also a perfect ally for massaging baby!
- Gently cleanse using our cleansing gel formulated with natural, soothing and moisturizing ingredients.