Babies' skin is very fragile. Their skin, very thin, can quickly feel attacked by external elements. Laundry, bath water, sun, washing gels, diapers ... It must be treated gently, both in the cosmetics we choose and in the gestures we use to apply them. Sometimes, the skin of toddlers can react through eczema or irritation due to the diaper and urine. Another common reaction, or peculiarity, of infant skin is cradle cap, also known as seborrheic dermatitis! Of a little repulsive aspect, we often wonder where they come from and how to treat them. Today, we explain everything about cradle cap!
- But in fact, what is seborrheic dermatitis?
- How to avoid and prevent cradle cap?
- Téane massage oil: an effective solution for removing cradle cap!
But in fact, what is seborrheic dermatitis?
We'll stop you right there ... Cradle cap has absolutely no connection whatsoever, in any way, shape or form, with the baby's milk diet! Also called "seborrheic dermatitis" of the infant, the cradle cap is a small patch. They are white or yellowish in color, with a rather greasy touch. They are mainly found on the skull of the little ones, at the level of their fontanelles. They are also present on the temples or on the face. In the most extreme cases, cradle caps can also form in the skin folds or on the buttocks. They can occur in the first few weeks of life or a little later and usually disappear after 6 months.
Don't worry, it's not a skin disease or a serious problem! Babies do not feel discomfort from cradle cap. If left untreated, they may end up being embarrassed, but nothing more. Seborrheic dermatitis is caused by an overproduction of sebum. Hence the scientific name: "seborrheic" = sebum! As the skin is not yet mature, and baths are less frequent, this overproduction of sebum ends up accumulating. This is a natural phenomenon that affects two thirds of babies. Again, don't worry, this is not a sign of poor hygiene! Just like us adults, babies have different skin types. Some people think that babies with cradle cap are predestined to have oily skin, but no studies have been done on this!
How to avoid and prevent cradle cap?
Although seborrheic dermatitis is not dangerous, it can be unsightly ... To avoid and prevent it, you can put some little tips in place:
- Use organic and natural cosmetics to care for your infant's skin. Fragile and thin, the skin of babies tends to absorb more easily everything that touches it. So avoid products containing alcohol, parabens, essential oils, endocrine disruptors, ... To consume healthy and safe products with your eyes closed: go to our site of natural care products for pregnant women and babies! !
- Do not wash too much the skin of your little one. The first months of his life, two to three baths per week are more than enough. In case of hot weather, you can of course bathe him more often!
- As bath water is rather hard and irritating, remember to add a few drops of vegetable oil to his skin before plunging him into the bath. TheCare and Bath Oil will protect his skin by creating a thin protective layer. Also, make sure that the bath water is not too hot.
In case cradle cap starts to form on his head: brush him. To do this, use a soft brush and don't insist too much on the irritated areas. You can also "soften" them with a vegetable oil.
Be careful never to scratch the cradle cap! They will eventually go away by themselves with time. Remember to keep an eye on their evolution to avoid bacterial development or inflammation. In this case, consult a specialist.
At Téane, we have formulated a gentle massage oil that is also ideal for treating cradle cap! We tell you more!
An effective solution to remove cradle cap!
Our Organic Baby Massage and Bath Oil is perfect for treating cradle cap and preventing it!
In prevention, use this oil to massage your baby. It's a real moment of sharing between you and your baby, and it's also a good way to deeply nourish his skin. You can also coat your baby with this oil before bathing to protect his skin from the drying effects of water and limescale.
If seborrheic dermatitis sets in, massage and bath oil will help you remove it. To do this, take a small amount of oil and apply it to the cradle cap a few hours before bath time. Then bathe baby to soften the crusts. Brush his skin after the bath with a soft brush.
Its composition is 100% natural! Inside you can find :
- A mixture of vegetable oils enriched in essential fatty acids
- Sunflower oil, which repairs and moisturizes the skin
- Camellia oil, which softens and repairs the skin
The formula is guaranteed without parabens, phenoxyethanol, alcohol and essential oils. For even more safety, it has been dermatologically tested. To use without moderation!