If you're pregnant, you're probably wondering when to start using stretch mark cream. Stretch marks during pregnancy are a real worry for many mothers-to-be. Weight gain, hormonal imbalance, dry skin, many factors come into play in the appearance of stretch marks. In order to prevent their appearance, it is important to apply daily care such as an anti-stretch mark cream from the first months of pregnancy. Applying moisturiser, oil and butter alone will not prevent stretch marks from appearing. To help you take care of your skin during pregnancy, Téane Laboratories have developed anti-stretch mark creams with patented, 100% natural and organic active ingredients. Discover our advice and our anti-stretch mark cosmetics : the 1ᵉʳ Care Stretch Mark Cream and the Generous Soothing Oil.
Why does pregnancy favour the appearance of stretch marks?
What is a stretch mark?
A stretch mark is a more or less fine stripe that appears on the surface of the skin. It is the sign of a break in the elastic fibres that form grooves on different parts of the pregnant woman's body :
- The belly
- The breasts
Stretch marks can appear throughout a woman's life, but mostly appear during pregnancy. Why do they appear? Hormonal changes in the first trimester, combined with significant stretching of the skin from the second trimester onwards, favour the appearance of stretch marks.
Generally, pregnancy stretch marks are initially red or purplish in colour and then become pearly white and more or less fine.
When to start applying an anti-stretch mark cream ?
To know when to start applying your anti-stretch mark treatment, you must first understand how stretch marks form.
There are 2 phenomena that cause stretch marks in pregnant women :
- Distension of the skin : with weight gain, the skin undergoes a strong stretching which can lead to a rupture of the elastic fibres of the dermis.
- Hormonal changes and the increase in the amount of cortisol : the level of this hormone, naturally present in the body, increases significantly during pregnancy. This increase affects the structure of the skin, as it reduces the production of collagen and elastin.
Good to know : our skin is made up of 3 layers : the epidermis (outer layer), the dermis (middle layer) and the hypodermis (deep layer). Stretch marks correspond to the tearing of the dermis which then makes the hypodermis visible, leaving this zebra-like appearance.
Hormonal variations start at the beginning of your pregnancy. They have an important influence on the deterioration of the quality of your skin. Therefore, you should start applying an anti-stretch mark cream that acts on the disturbances caused by hormonal variations as early as the 1st trimester of pregnancy. As explained above, an oil, moisturiser or shea butter will provide comfort and hydration. But they will not be effective in addition.
Our 1st Care Stretch Marks Cream contains a patented Cassia Alata extract which acts from the beginning of pregnancy to protect the quality of your skin from the effects of hormonal changes.
How to prevent stretch marks in pregnant women?
Although every woman experiences weight gain and hormonal changes, not all mothers-to-be are equal when it comes to stretch marks. Indeed, genetic parameters are observed as well as the quality of the skin before becoming pregnant.
However, adopting the right gestures from the first months of pregnancy can prevent the formation of stretch marks:
- Moisturise your skin with effective anti-stretch mark creams such as our 1st Care Stretch Marks Cream
- Gently exfoliate your skin with products adapted to pregnancy so that the active ingredients penetrate your skin better
- Drink plenty of water to hydrate your body from the inside
- Eat a healthy diet rich in vitamins and trace elements that improve the quality of the skin
The essential element of a good anti-stretch mark routine is the daily application of an anti-stretch mark cream with proven effectiveness in preventing stretch marks. Indeed, a moisturiser or a virgin oil will not be enough to prevent stretch marks.
In short, it is important to choose your anti-stretch mark creams carefully so that they target the areas prone to these scars such as the stomach, breasts, hips and buttocks.
Pregnancy is a time when your skin is receptive to all external pollutants, just like your baby. It is therefore essential to choose certified organic skin care products containing 100% natural active ingredients. Indeed, certified organic products must follow very strict specifications. Mineral oils, silicones, irritating surfactants, sulphates, dangerous preservatives or endocrine disruptors such as phenoxyethanol and parabens are prohibited.
Natural and organic stretch mark treatments
Because natural skin care is essential during pregnancy, Téane Laboratories have designed a complete anti-stretch mark range based on natural ingredients and without endocrine disruptors:
1. The 1st Care Stretch Marks Cream is certified organic: it is rich in Cassia Alata, a plant that was discovered more than 10 years ago in Madagascar. This patented extract acts on the disturbances caused by hormonal variations. This anti-stretch mark cream should be started in the first trimester and applied throughout the pregnancy. This stretch mark cream contains 99% natural ingredients. It is compatible with pregnancy and breastfeeding.
2. Generous Soothing Oil is certified organic : It improves the elasticity of your skin and fights against tightness and itching thanks to a synergy of organic plant oils. It is to be used in addition to the 1st Care Stretch Marks Cream, from the 2nd trimester of pregnancy. This oil contains 100% ingredients of natural origin. Pregnant or breast-feeding women can use this oil with complete peace of mind.
Find these 2 anti-stretch mark products in our Stretch Mark Prevention Programme to take care of your skin naturally from the first months of pregnancy!
Good to know : anti-stretch mark creams are specifically designed to act on stretch marks that are already present, such as our SOS Stretch Mark Balm. These products target active ingredients based on vitamins and trace elements that will heal the damaged tissues. To reduce them, you should act as soon as possible, i.e. when they are still coloured (red/purple).
In conclusion, you should start applying the anti-stretch mark cream as early as possible, as early as the 1st trimester if possible, to put all the chances on your side!
Did you like this article on "when to start using stretch mark cream"? You may also like to read Itching during pregnancy : how to relieve it ?