At each stage of pregnancy and/or breastfeeding time, women appreciate taking care of themselves (and they are right!). Among the essential daily gestures, there is of course the use of a deodorant to keep your armpits fresh on a daily basis. Unfortunately, pregnancy causes hormonal changes that can cause more sweating. Finding the deodorant that is both effective and compatible with pregnancy (and breastfeeding) can sometimes be very difficult. However, it is important to rely on natural deodorants with a healthy composition that poses no risk to you and your baby.
In this article we will tell you how to choose a deodorant during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Good reading !
- Body changes during pregnancy
- Why should pregnant women pay attention to the use of deodorant?
- What deodorant to use during pregnancy?
- Some tips to complement the benefits of deodorant during pregnancy
Body changes during pregnancy
During pregnancy, pregnant women experience many bodily changes and ailments due to hormonal changes. Fatigue, nausea or even the appearance of red stretch marks may be telling you something! Also increased sweating. Hormonal changes and weight gain lead to thyroid hyperfunction. This is how your body temperature rises during pregnancy. This is the reason why sweating during pregnancy is felt much more than before. Pregnant women who want to get rid of those unwanted sweats and odors are turning to deodorants much more than before.
And there, you are probably asking yourself the following questions: what deodorant to use during pregnancy? Are all deodorants compatible with pregnancy?
Why should you be wary of deodorant during pregnancy?
Using deodorant during pregnancy is quite harmless. But, you must pay attention to the content of the product you are going to buy and find out if it is compatible with pregnancy.
The armpits, a very sensitive and permeable area
Deodorants are applied daily to a very sensitive area: the armpits. These areas, which are very permeable (and even more so due to repeated shaving or waxing), are also very close to the mammary glands. In addition, you have to be all the more vigilant because it is a leave-in product. It is therefore important, for your health and that of your baby, that the deodorant is natural, suitable for pregnancy and compatible with breastfeeding. All without controversial substance!
Deodorants may contain controversial ingredients
While consumers are looking for more natural solutions, the composition of deodorants is not yet safe for health. Not all common commercial deodorants are suitable for use during pregnancy. They usually contain chemicals that can be absorbed through the skin.
Antiperspirant deodorants are one of the controversial products that many pregnant women choose to avoid as an extra precaution. But this can be easier said than done, especially when we notice that we sweat more excessively during pregnancy.
- Aluminum salts are very effective for their antiperspirant effectiveness because it blocks the pores... but it is not without danger on health! So prefer deodorants without aluminum salts.
- Endocrine disruptors such as phthalates , triclosan and parabens should be banned. Parabens are preservatives that prevent mold and bacteria from growing on the deodorant stick. However, endocrine disruptors can mimic estrogen and disrupt your hormones.
On the other hand, it is necessary to avoid deodorants containing synthetic fragrances.
Not all deodorants are suitable for pregnancy and breastfeeding
As we have seen, it is rather advisable to use a natural, certified organic deodorant to regulate perspiration and prevent bad odors during pregnancy. But who says natural does not necessarily say compatible with pregnancy! Essential oils or alcohol are allowed in organic because they are natural ingredients. Still, it's best to chase them out of your bathroom during pregnancy. For what ?
- Essential oils are all prohibited during the first 3 months of pregnancy. Then, some are also to be avoided for the rest of the pregnancy. Even if they are natural, they can be dangerous for the health of the fetus. It is therefore important to use a deodorant and all care in general without essential oils! Certified organic cosmetics can use it so it is important to be vigilant with the compositions.
- Alcohol is irritating and even more so for the armpits.
What deodorant to use during pregnancy?
Our selection of deodorant for pregnancy
Téane Laboratories present to you the Douceur Roll-on Deodorant from the Florame brand. This deodorant is ideal for preventing bad odors during pregnancy. This deodorant is without aluminum salt, without alcohol or essential oils , it will be your ideal partner for your daily hygiene.
We slipped some deodorant into our box dedicated to pregnancy ! In this kit, you will also find a Stretch Marks 1st Care Cream to prevent the appearance of stretch marks, a Fresh Firming Milk to firm the skin after childbirth, an herbal tea to relieve certain pregnancy ailments and a cereal bar.
Tips for supplementing deodorant during pregnancy
- Use clothes made from natural materials rather than synthetics
- Drink plenty of water, alternating with lukewarm or hot water
- Pass a mitt with water under your armpits several times a day to refresh yourself
Know that perspiration is natural and that it allows the toxins produced by you and your baby to be evacuated. The priority: your health and that of your baby!
Photo credit: by Freepik .